Movie License FAQ
Included is the “I Can Only Imagine” feature film on DVD and an Authorized Public Exhibition License. (The U.S. Copyright Act requires a license to legally show a movie in a public venue, including a church, school camp, etc. Your license gives you permission to promote and show the film to public audiences as often as you like for the next 12 months).
Outreach Films provides three different types of movie license packages for Faith-based films:
- Movie Event Package - Along with an annual public performance site license, this package includes a physical DVD of the movie along with other printed and digital resources you can use to promote your event and make it more successful. In some cases, the Movie Event Package also includes a complete Church Kit with sermons and sometimes small group curriculum along with other resources you can use to launch a series based on the themes of the movie. The detail page of the movie you select should outline what is included with each type of package.
- Movie License - Along with an annual public performance site license, the Movie License provides you with a physical DVD of the movie and digital resources like web and social media graphics, a digital planning guide and discussion questions.
- Digital Movie License - This is the perfect option when you already have a DVD of the movie you want to show. The Digital License does NOT include a DVD but provides you with annual public performance site license and digital resources like web and social media graphics, a digital planning guide and discussion questions.
Some church networks and denominations have worked out discounts for their churches; check with those offices to find out if anything is available. Price is based on your average weekly church attendance to help make the license more affordable.
There are several ways to recoup any costs:
- If you need to ticket the event because of seating issues, list a "suggested donation" on the ticket (remember, you cannot require an admission price).
- Offer free admission, but sell concession tickets for popcorn and a drink, or a hot dog dinner.
- Collect a freewill offering or leave baskets at the doors to collect gifts. People are accustomed to paying to see a film, so giving a donation to cover costs would not be unusual.
- Many churches simply ask the congregation to consider giving a special gift for the Movie Event above and beyond their regular giving. The cost of the License represents less than $1.00 per person in the typical church.
- Ask a local business to sponsor the event, give them placement on your promotional materials and do a short sponsorship "commercial" to thank them prior to showing the film.
- Purchase bulk DVDs and resell them at your event and use the proceeds to fund your event or future events.
Any organization's public exhibition of a film without proper licensing is subject to steep and significant penalties through The Copyright Act (as much as $150,000 per exhibition). Even inadvertent infringers are subject to the Copyright Act. If your organization has unknowingly showed a movie while not in copyright compliance, contact us directly to remedy the matter 502-245-2425.
Yes. Bonus features include:
- “I Can Only Imagine” Movie Trailer
- “I Can Only Imagine” Study Trailer
- “Imagine Forgiveness” Study Episode
- Pastor to Pastor video with Keith Loy
- Message to Pastors from Bart Millard
- “Woodlawn” movie Trailer
- “Woodlawn” Study Trailer
Introducing Reveal TV